Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wimble'done'

As soon as I saw the first point in Wimbledon this year, I knew I would be writing about it. But I thought I'll wait and see how far Fedex goes.

For the past decade or so, the rules have been changing in Wimbledon, the more subtle ones. The balls are ligther, the grass is slower. And this year is the slowest tennis I have ever seen in the most coveted tennis tournament in the world.

Wimbledon is slowly losing its reputation as the fast surfaced tournament well suited to the serve and volley game. Now, I dont even remember a player with a serve and volley game dominating Wimbledon. This surface currently suits a Gustavo Kuerten than a Pat Rafter. How many Wimbledon Championships would the great Pete Sampras have won on this surface?

Which brings me to Federer. Fedex dominated the grass court just like Pete did. But someone out there wanted longer points and gruelling matches. Enter Nadal. And then came the closed roof. I understand the need for them, but everything seems to be eating into the traditions of the finest tournament in the world.

Wimbledon as we knew it, is gone. Dont worry Federer, you didnt lose at Wimbledon, you lost at Wimble'done'.

No comments: