Saturday, January 30, 2010

From sport to politics

The other day, I was reading the newspaper when I found the article about Henry's handball against Ireland and that FIFA is going to decide whether to punish Henry or not. I was aghast. But, I thought it would be a one-off and I promised myself that this will not show up in my blog.

Today, I read about John Terry's affair with Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend and whether he should continue as England captain or worse, should he be pulled out of the squad altogether. There are too many things wrong with that statement that I don't know where to start.

But after reading this, I had to bring up the Henry scenario too. I've never heard something as ridiculous and outrageous as FIFA going to rule on a handball. The referee did not see it and the goal stood. Big deal. If every single "wrong" decision made by a referee gets into FIFA's to-do list, I have lost my utmost respect for them. If Henry was playing for Ireland, would this have happened?

Coming to John Terry, I don't care what he does off the pitch as long as he delivers on the pitch. If you even begin to start that he has lost the respect of the dressing room, I, personally will have lost respect for the dressing room. Now, according to many "people", he should be stripped of the captaincy and pulled out of the squad. What happened when Steven Gerrard was facing jail time and had to rely on the jury/judge to say "Not Guilty". Did anyone say Gerrard should not play for England? Or Liverpool?

Has it really come down to this? Football fans are suffering. Newspapers/Journalists - Peace sells, but who's buying eh?

No comments: